Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Country Fiasco.

Did you know that if you have propane heat you have to watch the level on your tank and call your propane company when your tank is running low unless you've already set up "automatic delivery" with them. Neither did we. We do now. It would have been nice for said propane company to tell us this when we set up our account, and by "us" I mean The Husband, who they very well may have told but he insists they didn't. Who knows? The man is busy and has a lot on his mind. Anywho...

I was boiling some pasta last night, or at least I was trying to when I noted that the flame on our stove top was very low, very, very, low. Eventually, there was no flame which made me think there was no propane. (I'm kind of smart that way) The Husband had just finished putting The Son to bed and he came down and checked the gas fireplace. Not working. He called the propane company who instructed him to go check the tank. It was snowing, and he traipsed out there only to come back a few minutes later and tell me it was in fact empty. He called the propane company back and discussed our account, of course, we owed them money although neither one of us could find, or recalls receiving a bill. They arranged to come out and fill our tank, which they did shortly after. There was an extra fee for after hours filling of the tank which irritates me but at that point, what else can you do? They filled us up and told us we could "turn the heaters back on". We then came to realize we also didn't know how to do that. It took a while but The Husband did figure that out thankfully because the heater company's "emergency" number never called us back until this morning. It was less than 20 degrees last night, I'd love to know what exactly constitutes an "emergency".

Our insulation must be pretty good, it was just a little cold in here, the thermostat was reading 65 by the time it all got taken care of and we usually keep it set at 68. I'd LOVE to keep it set at 72 but 68 I can handle if I wear an extra layer. I should have known something was up earlier when The Son complained of being cold, the child is never cold. Anyway, we all learned some valuable lessons last night. We went to bed well after midnight, tired, grumpy and disappointed that we didn't get to eat The Husband's Healthy Shrimp Scampi that we were both so looking forward to. (tonight, with any luck)

But we do have a happy ending...
5:45 came early this morning but then... a phone call from the heaven's above, (really it was from one of the child care supervisors at the Y) There was a 2-hour delay this morning! The Husband had registration at his University so I didn't have to work at all. We both went back to bed and I didn't get up until 9:30! Thank Goodness. Now I sit here toasty and warm blogging to you. Wednesdays are my busy day so I'll be saying "goodbye" for now.

Stay warm everyone and don't forget to check the level on your propane tank...just in case.

9 comments:

Darlene said...

I am glad they were able to come out and get it filled even if you did have to pay an "after hours" fee. We don't have propane but I have heard there is some kind of gauge on them that you have to look at or keep track of. I would have no idea.

YAY for getting to sleep in. I'm at my little part-time job but I feel a nap coming on when I get home.♥

Running Jen said...

Glad to hear you got it taken care of fast, that is good! We don't have to worry about that here in FL, so I am clueless about that stuff.

Cathy said...

never knew about that either. Gotta ask Matt about that one and ours as well!
Glad you got it fixed and are toastier now!

Samantha said...

I thought you had to have it on automatic delivery. My mom and my grandparents both have theirs set up on automatic. I have natural gas at my house so we don't have to worry with it. :)
Oh, I think I got the comment thing fixed. :)

bev/gus said...

Not so funny about the propane but now you know what to do.
Can't wait to see the "heart" decorations.
Very proud of your weight loss!!!

Liz Harrell said...

Whew, glad you guys didnt have to sit around cold. :) My parents have been out of power for seven days (b/c of the ice storm) and are NOT in a good mood. Not that I blame them.

Chrissy Cuz said...

I am glad you got it taken care of. I have gas heat so I wouldn't have known that either. :o)

Anonymous said...

I had no idea but then I don't have propane so I guess I wouldn't. I sure am glad you got that heat going before too long!

Nikki said...

Propane heat..seriously? I have never heard of that in a house. A camper/trailer but not a house...I would have to say thanks for educating me today!