Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Do you watch "The Biggest Loser?"

Well The Husband and I do and I have oh, so many thoughts on it... I just don't know where to begin. Oh yes, I do...Mandi! I have very mixed feelings about Mandi...

So if you watch the show, you know that Mandi won 24 hours with her husband ON the ranch. Evidently that's a big deal because usually the person has to go home to see family and that puts them behind. They also surprised her and brought her two little boys out to see her too. It was heart-wrenching. I don't know about most of you moms out there but I could never...
would never leave The Son to go on a TV show. I know she's overweight, unhealthy and this show could "save her life" but still, she seems to me like the kind of person who is not THAT overweight who could do it at home if she really wanted to. Yes, I'm being judgemental and I don't like to be that way but watching her little boys sob and cry when they had to leave just seemed so mean and selfish to me, maybe they shouldn't have even let them go back to see her. Actually, maybe the selfish ones are the producers of the show who wanted to add a little more drama...I don't know but I do know that it's been bothering me since I saw it last night. All that being said, I do like Mandi and want her and her sister to do well, it just hurts my heart to even think about leaving The Son for any length of time.

Another thing I wonder about is... how the heck to they exercise as much as they do? I've been on a quest to lose weight and get healthy again and I work out six days a week, five of those days about two hours a day. Let me tell you...I am tired! And Sore! Yesterday I ran 5K on the treadmill (well, it was more like runking... a run/walk combo but I did DO it) and I was exhausted after that and all my free weights. How are they functioning after days and days of constant exercise? I don't think I could move and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, I'm certainly no where near the weight of some of the contestants. I will say, when I feel tired at the gym, I think of them and push myself to finish my measly little two hour work out! ha ha!

And my last comment about TBL, for today at least is...why do they make the women stand there in that hideous sports bra the entire time while the men get to wear a t-shirt and take it off just for the weighing? It's not fair. I think the women should be allowed to put a t-shirt on after the weighing too. It's awful and not attractive at all. I feel bad for them every time I see it.

Well, a very insightful post for today, don't you think. ;) It's Wednesday which is my very busy day so I need to get moving. I'll be saying goodbye for now! Have a good one.

4 comments:

Dorinda Brown said...

I have a LOVE HATE relationship with that show ;-/
Thanks for the link to your blog, I LIKE it!!!

Erin Leigh said...

I typed a BOOK earlier while waiting at DMV, on my iPhone which is NOT easy I might add, and lost the damn thing.

I really like that show although I am confused cause I haven't watched in a long time but it was the same people so are they reruns?? I switched over to Scrubs.

My thoughts on everything you commented on...I think it is possible to workout like that and i did when i used to play soccer. Try outs and pre-season practices were intense. Sometimes 5 hours, sometimes in splits. I think the key with this show is the nutrition.

I also think it is tough for the mom and the kids for her absence but I think that if she keeps up the healthy things she is learning on the show, that will give them a better and longer lifetime together.

And even 45 pounds lighter then I used to be there is no way in hell that I would stand up there like that. I think it is crazy.

Running Jen said...

I totally agree with you. I don't understand the outfits, I just don't see why the women have to stand there in those sports bras!

I like and hate the show, at the same time, hard to explain really. I hate it when they are disappointed when someone loses ONLY 4 pounds in a week, because I am big on losing it slowly to keep it off. However, I do understand that they are looking for pretty fast weight loss on this show, since they only have a certain number of weeks.

I don't know how they work out so much either. I exercise 5-6 days a week, run a lot, etc. But, when they show these people who weigh 200-300 pounds, I sometimes wonder how they can handle such intense workouts in the beginning. 1-2 hours in the gym, I am used to, so I completely understand, but it sounds like they have these people in the gym for several hours, how the heck do they do it before they're in shape?!

Chrissy Cuz said...

I do watch the show off and on & I do like some things and not others. It does make me happy to see people battle their weight loss issues. I do think that is a good thing. I totally agree on the weigh in outfits. I wouldn't want to stand there in my sports bra on T.V. I loved you take on the show also.