Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hey Toto...

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

Yesterday, I was spending too much time on facebook working on my computer, getting ready to take The Son to Toys R Us and he was watching "Noggin." Yes, he's going into Kindergarten next year and he still watches "Noggin." He'd much rather watch Cartoon Network but CCMomma picks the channels around here and The Son watches what I put on! Anyway, he comes running to me crying that he heard a tornado warning. We don't get many tornadoes here in this part of Pennsylvania. I'm close to 40 and I've never seen one (knocking wood) so I wasn't that alarmed. The Son was. I went into the family room, turned to our local news channel and lo and behold... there was a tornado warning for our county. Just. Our. County. The weather chart had purple on it, I have never seen purple on the weather chart and the purple was centered over the town in which The Son takes karate! A town away from our town.

I was beginning to get a bit scared and The Son was heading into panic mode. Sometimes he's too smart for his own good, my kid. I decided to close all the windows because the rain was coming down fast and I asked him if he'd feel better heading down to our finished basement to watch TV there. He said he would. I sent him down with the dog and quickly ran upstairs to close the windows. When I headed down to the basement, I found The Son curled up on the floor behind the couch and the chair, shuddering in fright. I was feeling bad for the poor kid. We decided to watch "Ellen" and he snuggled up next to me. I assured him that he was safe and the only reason I suggested heading down to the basement was so that he would feel more comfortable. The tornado warning was over at 4:00 PM, we watched the weather and he heard that there was no more tornado warning and as far as I know, none touched down. (Phew!) He was feeling so much better and was ready to head out to Toys R Us. Problem was, now it was thundering and lighteninging. (Is that a word?) We live in the country so we practically have to drive to another state to get to a Toys R Us and by "practically", I mean we do. I hate driving in the rain let alone the thunder, etc. so we didn't go. I'm a bad mom. Sorry Son. We're heading there soon today and I'm guessing all will be alright with his world again.

After TRU I am heading to the Y to work out. I'm still having trouble getting my summer schedule down now that The Son isn't in preschool. I know it will work itself out one way or another. The good thing is, I'm still getting there, just not feeling very organized about it. Swimming lessons tonight... as long as there's no more thunder storms... that remains to be seen of course. Have a great day everyone. We're off to buy a new Bakugaan toy.

2 comments:

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

We had some WICKED weather in NJ, too. I was actually scared...it felt like it would start lighteninging (I say it's a word ;-) in our bedroom, which wasn't exactly making me feel terrific. Even the dog, whose usually very good in storms, was freaking out.

Glad to hear all is OK. On to TRU with you!

Anonymous said...

glad you are safe and sound, and hope son has fun at tru and you have fun at y. and maybe you'll both have fun at xyz..just kidding.
have a great whirlwind day today!