Monday, June 1, 2009

Disney Trip: Best souvenir ever... IMHO!

Yep, still more Disney... honestly, we'll probably have a couple Disney posts a week for oh, let's say the next month or so. I've got lots of pictures but hey, you already know that.

I've been excited to tell you about what I think is the best souvenir ever at Disney World. It's not emblazoned with Mickey and his cohorts, it doesn't say, "I survived the Tower of Terror" or some other equally thrilling ride and you can't trade it with a cast member to build your collection. But... it's a great memory, especially if you have children, you get two for the price of one AND it's very inexpensive. (Ours was $8.52... for two, remember!)

What in the "World" am I talking about? Why, a silhouette of course!

Here is The Son sitting for his to be made. It takes the artist all of 2 to 3 minutes to complete it so it's fine even for squirmy kids. You can have them made of the entire family which of course increases the price but they're still very reasonable.



The silhouette cart is located at the Magic Kingdom between Frontierland and Liberty Square, kind of on the way to the Haunted Mansion. I know I saw other carts throughout The World too but we like to visit the one in the Magic Kingdom. It's important to note that they are contracted by Disney World, not actual Disney World cast members, and therefore, you cannot charge the silhouette to your room but they do accept major credit cards and of course, plain old cash.

Here's our silhouette from The Son's first trip to Disney when he was one. I apologize for the quality of the photos, The Husband took them with his iphone at the last minute so that I could get this post finished quickly. You get the idea.


...and here's the one we had made on this past trip. I really thought I had one made when we took The Son for his third birthday but for some reason, can't seem to find it. Strange... maybe I didn't have it done.

So that's it... my favorite souvenir at Disney. I plan on having them made every time we go and displaying them all together to show the progression and growth of my handsome boy. It's not very "Disneyfied" but that's quite alright by me. I'll save the toys, t-shirts and pins for the kids!

Tomorrow, I'll give you my triathlon report. It was great, not much to report but I do have a few pictures (very few) to show you. Good times, great accomplishments. It's back to the gym today and I'll be starting to work on improving my speed while running. I'm not training for anything specifically but hope to do at least one more 5K this summer...

Have a great Monday everyone!

7 comments:

Darlene said...

Those silhouette's are beautiful. That will be neat to see how The Son grows. Great souvenier!

Nina said...

what a great tradition. and, on a selfish side note, I'm glad to see your son has grown a chin - A has the same non-chinny look as in the 1st silouhette and honestly, while I think my son is adorable I don't think the non-chinny look is attractive in an adult and I was afraid he'd grow up like that.

I got one done at the liberty bell many years ago...wonder if they still do them there? or around independence square? hmmm there are places that do them online too...i, of course, do not want one of me and my double chin...apparently I have chin issues - either they are too little or too big...sigh...

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Those really are the best kinds of souveniers. (One you would actually want to have around after the vacation is over...)

Running Jen said...

That is so neat Caren! Beautiful! I wish I would have thought to do this when Ava was smaller. She's only been to Disney what, a bizillion times, but I never thought of this before!

bev/gus said...

Great Disney pictures for the past few posts. Congrats on the weight loss and keep it going. You really are doing a terrific job reaching your goal and should feel very good about yourself.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

OK...before I read, I scanned through the photos and was like, "WHOA! Artist is a little off...that head's a bit, um, round." That being before I knew the first one was round baby head. Ha!

I love this idea...what a great little tradition.

Anonymous said...

Hi... just happen to cross your site... I see that you also love Disney... me too...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
disneycloth.cwahi.net

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!