Sunday, November 1, 2009

"Boo!" from the Fun Mommy!

We're a day late with this year's Halloween post but I had a very busy yesterday so I wasn't able to get it posted. I'll be posting about my busy day, later this week. Early last week, I gave you a brief explanation of Bakugan, The Son's latest obsession. This year he wanted to dress as Dan Kuso, the leader of the Bakugan Brawlers. There was a pre-made costume out there that could be purchased but The Son took one look at that in the catalog and said, "Momma, I think you could make a better one." Challenge accepted Son.

I had difficulty coming up with exactly what I would do. I am more of a costume "put-er togetherer" than I am a costume maker. I don't like patterns, I don't like traditional sewing, I like creativity and piecing stuff together to make a complete outfit. I've had some successes in the past. I'd like to think this year was no exception. I now present... The Son as...DAN KUSO!





We purchased the pants in the girls' department at Wal*Mart. The Son was not originally happy with this but every pair of red pants in any boys' department had stripes on the sides and were usually the wrong color red. When I explained that they would NOT look like girl pants, he acquiesced and agreed that Momma could turn them into pants that no one would notice were girl pants. Do you know how difficult it is to find a plain yellow t-shirt? Well, it's hard. I had to buy a sponge bob top that he wore backwards. I got the belt from the girls' department too which interestingly enough, didn't bother him. The jacket is where I ran into a little trouble. I ended up getting a mens' sweatshirt in a size small that I cut down, trimmed up and added a giant collar to. It wasn't perfect but it came out pretty darn cute if I do say so myself. He was thrilled. We added the sunglasses on the head and some biking fingerless gloves that he already had and he was all set.

Here he is at the Y's Halloween party last week.

With some friends...

And on Saturday/Halloween night...



And please don't think that The Son is the only one who got in on the Halloween fun. My cousin is visiting to participate in the event we had today and I casually mentioned to her that perhaps we should dress up as something. She went out to the dollar store and bought witch hats, brooms, necklaces and cute checkered tights. Her friend Cherie is here with her too and we all decided to become the Three Wicked Witches! I asked The Son if he would be embarrassed that I was one of the only moms dressing up for trick-or-treating and he said, "NO Momma! It's the fun Moms that dress up." Let me tell you... I loved that. Fun it was...



Yeah, we're dorks but you know what? We were dorks who had a fun time! Hope you had a nice Halloween too. BOO!

4 comments:

tommyekatt said...

That is AWSOME Caren. You did a great job on his costume.

Darlene said...

I've never heard of the Bakugan Brawlers or their leader but the costume you made him is FABULOUS! What a great job!!!

I LOVE the picture of the three of you as witches....too CUTE!!! You are definitely a FUN mom!!

Chrissy Cuz said...

The son looked so cute that night. We may be dorks Cuz but I think we are cute dorks & we like to have fun. LOL!!!

Michelle said...

You know, I miss the days when my mom made my Halloween costume. Homemade costumes are the best!! I wish I was as talented so I could my kids' costumes. *sigh*

Oh, and Kara begged and begged for Tim and myself to dress up for trick-or-treating, but I forgot to get anything before the big night. I think I will dress up next year, though!