Monday, November 16, 2009

Yeah. I'm a "Joe Ho."

I'll readily admit that my food journal this week is not my shining moment as a blogger. Not at all, I get really bored when people post excessive pictures of their food choices along with the calories etc. but I'm doing it to help keep myself accountable to what I eat and to help out my friend Melissa who wants a few suggestions on things she can eat. I will not be doing it after this week, at least not for a little while.

Since I've been doing it in such a "public" forum, I've realized something. I am a Trader Joe's ADDICT! Have you noticed that? I affectionately call myself a "Joe Ho." Their foods are SO good and many of them are really healthy. Do you have access to a Trader Joe's? There is so much there to try but you will need to spend some time reading labels. There are many choices that are not so healthy too. A couple of the things I've really enjoyed so far are:

Mushroom Risotto in the freezer section, it cooked up really quickly in the microwave and I served it with some kind of lean protein which I've already forgotten about. It was good whatever it was. I believe this was about 170 calories per 1 cup serving and my pictures are flipped the correct way in my photos on my computer but Blogger is flipping them for some reason, does anyone know how to fix that?


The Gnocci Alla Sorrentina, also in the frozen section, I think it was also about 170 calories for a one cup serving. I served this with TJ's Chicken sun-dried tomato sausage which is 110 calories a piece. We also had some roasted veggies.

And probably my most favorite item at TJ's EVER, their steel cut oatmeal that you can find in the freezer section as well. It's two servings per package and each pack is only $1.59! It comes frozen in giant oatmeal hockey pucks that you just microwave. I add 1/2 cup of fresh cranberries and 1/2 cup of frozen berries, also from Trader Joe's I then add two packs of Splenda and a ton of cinnamon after it's all heated up. It's so delicious and easy and yummy and comforting and...


Anyway. Try it. If you're an oatmeal lover like I am, you'll like it for sure.

I'm also LOVING the TJ's Low-Sodium Organic Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup but if you check that out, make sure you get the LOW-SODIUM as the regular, (like most soups) is high in sodium and we don't want water retention now, do we? You'll want to check the sodium content on many of the foods since prepared foods tend to be higher in sodium but you can keep in mind that the recommended intake of sodium a day is 2400 mg or less.

Have a great day everyone! I just looked at the time and realized that I have to get The Son ready for school and myself ready for a hopefully "grueling" workout with my trainer. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Those all sound really delicious. Sadly we don't have a Trader Joes around here. I think I'll google it and see if there is one I don't know about! Have a great Monday.

Jennifer H. said...

Caren, I've really appreciated seeing your food blogs. They are very helpful for ideas!! I'm really thinking I need to make a trip to TJ's. It's probaby 45 minutes from here but, think it might be worth it. I'm really interested in the steel cut oatmeal and the roasted red pepper and tomato soup. Thank you for sharing!!