Thursday, October 9, 2008

I saved a life.

Well, you may have noticed that I haven't been blogging much as of late. I've just been kind of not in the blog mood, it happens to the best of us, right? Well, after last night, I have something to blog about for sure! 

I saved a life last night after teaching swimming lessons! Really, I did. I teach until 6:45 on Wednesday nights and my son gets in the pool to swim at 5:30 while I teach lessons. After I finish, The Son and I swim together for another half hour or so, having fun, doing mini lessons, (He's getting REALLY good) basically just goofing around. So, last night, we're playing and we were doing the "frog song" with another bunch of little boys. It basically just involves me singing this very annoying cute song about frogs on a log jumping into the pool. The. Kids. Love. It. We played that for a while and then The Son and I went to the deeper end to practice his actual swimming. I don't know how long he was swimming when I noticed that one of the little boys who was playing "frogs" with us, and who is actually one of my very beginning swim students was behind me in the deep end, barely struggling to get his head out of the water to take a breath every few seconds. I FREAKED out! I grabbed The Son because he can't stand there either and then grabbed the struggling boy who clung onto me for dear life. He's been scared in swimming lessons as it is, I don't think this is going to help him. After I rescued him, I had both boys, one on each hip, I had to point out to the "lifeguards" what had happened. The were both young teen boys, one blonde and one brunette. I turn to Mr. Blonde and scream, "This kid is over here, practically drowning and no one is paying any attention to him!" Mr. Blonde says to me in a really snotty way ....wait for it...wait for it...


"I'm not responsible for that side of the pool." 


Well, you can imagine how livid I was at that response, I said, "OK, well, when he drowns, you be sure to tell that to his mother!" 

I then told the "lifeguard" on the other side of the pool, (I guess he's the one who was "responsible") Mr. Brunette, just looked kind of shocked and dumbfounded at what had happened but at least he didn't have a snotty retort. 

I dragged the little boys over to the shallow end and told them to play there. I then went and talked to the supervisor of the lifeguards. I was so upset and angry that I was shaking and I'm sure I didn't make a pretty picture standing there freaking out in my dripping wet swimsuit but I don't really care. 

I am more than likely to be persona non grata with the lifeguards but I don't need a bunch if 17 year old kids as friends anyway, the adult guards will understand. Also let me say that the incident wouldn't have happened with most of the guards we have, at least I don't believe that it would have. 

I got back in the pool with The Son and we played for a little while longer after I had shown the other boy where it was safe for him to play. It was an exciting night to say the least. I'm so glad that no one was hurt and that I was able to help the child.  Who knows what would have happened if I hadn't been. Poor kid, he's one of my favorite students and I really hope this doesn't set him back. 

Oh! You also might ask where his mom was, she was on the pool deck reading. I won't even go into that because I do like the woman but you can make your own judgments there. 

Have a great day everyone, we're off to the pumpkin patch/apple orchard with some friends! 

9 comments:

Darlene said...

OH. MY. GOSH!!!!!!That whole story is just disturbing!!! Well, not the part about you singing the "frog song" but the rest!!

That just scares me to DEATH and Lexi was NEVER allowed to go swim anywhere without me until she learned to swim. I just do not trust young teen kids to keep a good enough watch over young children around deep water. I ABSOLUTELY can't believe his own mother was not watching.....just unreal!!!

Thank the Lord you were there that night or a tragedy could have happened....you are DEFINATELY A HERO!!!!

Erin Leigh said...

I am so glad you answered where the mother was before I could ask. You know me and water safety. Seriously, this pisses me off. Glad you were there so nothing horrible came out of it.

morewineplease said...

Thank GOd you were there! Way to go lady!!!!

Shakirra said...

You damn right I will make my judgement..I don't know her. Maybe you can read a book at the park, but not at the pool! Totally irresponsible! I would love to finally finish a book that I have started and read when I am with my kids, but they need constant attention. What did the mother say to you Caren? Good job, glad CPR wasn't needed!

Caren said...

Honestly Kirra, I don't really remember what I said to her. The whole situation was weird.

Liz Harrell said...

Talk about heart attack city. God bless you for paying attention, looks like no one else was! How can you read a book when you know you're child is scared of the water? And that life guard? I'd have shoved his head under the water.

I was a camp counsler one summer and watched our lifeguards pull a little boy out of the pool half dead. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen, so stuff like this makes me livid. So glad you were there.

Always Smiling said...

I can not believe the mother was not paying attention. I am probably to attentive when my kids are around water. I let htem have fun, but I have a hawk eye on them always.

What is up with the kids lifeguards. I've noticed the ones at our Y seem to have a "I am better than you" kind of attitude.

Always Smiling said...

also, isn't there a parents always within arms reach rule at your Y? I know our Y has one, not that everyone follows it, but it should be pointed out again to her if there is one.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I mostly visits this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]citymommacountrymomma.blogspot.com is filled with quality info. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Let me present you with one fact here. Research displays that closely 60% of all U.S. grownups are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.