Thursday, January 7, 2010

Frenemy Update!

If you need to get caught up on the stupid drama that is my life, you can read about it here. If you already read it...

Guess who called me this evening? That's right, my BFF (aka Bitchy French Frenemy,
I'm so clever) I was actually surprised because I thought I had her number in my phone but I must only have her cell phone number so I answered. She started off by saying she was sorry that what she had done was mean and that she was so, so, so, so, sorry. I asked her why she had done what she did and she explained to me that none of her other Facebook Friends posted information like I did and that she felt like I was sharing too much and that culturally it was very different than what she's used to. (She's lived here for 7 years and is married to an American man) I find it very shocking that NONE of her other Facebook Friends post mundane daily info about themselves but she swears it's true. I even read her some of my friend's status updates and she swears that her friends don't post like this.

For example:

"Friend #1 is having a great night :) 20 mins till bedtime for the kids...I told them I've been letting them stay up later...but back to the routine!!! Hope the snow isn't bad tomorrow I want to hit the gym in the morning :)"

"Friend #2 is back from the gym.....ran 4 miles and did weights. Updating from Husband's iphone, I know what I want for my birthday. :)"

"Friend #3 finally got out and about today! Feeling better and the sun was still shining. =O)

and my so offensive over-sharing status update...

"CityMomma/CountryMomma is home from the gym. Ran 4 miles tonight but had to suffer through a treadmill with no TV! ;) Off to take a quick shower and then make a nice, healthy dinner. Yum!"

See what I mean? I don't get how none of her friends post like this, trust me, I have 30 -50 more for today alone. Isn't that what facebook and other social media venues are?

She also didn't know about networking blogs or that people made their blogs public and that people actually made money from blogging. Basically, she didn't know anything about blogs. She couldn't figure out why I would share personal information and then link it up to Facebook.

She also didn't know that I would be able to see her status update and that I would then be able to figure out a reasonable approximation of what she said with an on-line FREE translation program. Her husband told her this and evidently told her she was crazy and she needed to take it down or not write in the first place. (Thanks to the American Husband)

She had a bad day, she took it out on me because she was irritated by my "over sharing" which as I hope most would agree was not really over sharing (I've had "friends" over share, telling graphic details of what your boyfriend is going to do with you and some honey when he gets out of jail is over sharing... former student... don't ask, I deleted her.) and she apologized over and over and over and said that if she was me, she would not want to be friends with her again. I know it takes a big person to admit that they were wrong and I do appreciate that she called me and apologized. A mutual friend of ours put her up to it because she basically told her she was wrong and that because she "started the fight, she needed to finish it" (Thanks to the Mutual Friend)

So now that leaves me deciding what to do. I will admit that I didn't invite her son to The Son's 6th birthday party next weekend because this all took place as I was mailing out the invites. I plan on discussing it with The Husband but I will probably invite him. I don't want to be mean to children because of the mistakes of a parent, I will say that I would not be inviting him if she had not apologized. I'm not THAT big of a person.

So, that's the update. What would you do? I know for a fact that we will NEVER be facebook friends again but friends who hang out and do crafts or invite each other to their New Year's Eve parties? J'y penserai (That is what I think means "I'll think about it" according to my French translator. ;) )

Enough of the juvenile drama, tomorrow we will be back to our regular scheduled, over-sharing posts...


7 comments:

Andrea said...

I'd probably high-five her face, but that's just me :)

I can't believe she thinks you were over-sharing. I have friends who post about cuddling with their boyfriends. There's one friend who shares when Aunt Flo has arrived. THAT'S oversharing!

I'm sorry you even have to make a decision about this woman. I'd probably invite her son to The Son's birthday party, but I'd leave it at that.

Darlene said...

You have seen it before and you WILL see it again....I would dump her. She is NOT a true friend, she is a drama queen deluxe!♥

Naomi said...

i am with you on dumping her, but what about Son? are they friends? I would leave it up to yours as to who he wants at his party.

morewineplease said...

YIKES! What the hell does she think facebook is for?
I think you handled it well!

Erin said...

I wish that I could figure out how to "over share" like you. I can't for the life of me figure out how to post my blog on FB like you & so many other's I'm jealous of! Guess I'm just an "over-sharer" wannabe ;-).

Can't say what you should do, only you can, though I know I tend to cave so I'd probably be friendly to her & invite her to the odd party. But I'd know that she would probably pull this crap again.

Chrissy Cuz said...

I don't think you overshare. I love your status posts. She is being too uptight. :o)

Cathy said...

I have to put in my 2 cents....I agree with the others and would probably say "Au Revoir" to that frenemy. Who needs a "friend" like that?? I would still do the things you need to do for the sons but other than the casual "hello" or "how are you?" I wouldn't give her the time of day. ;)