Monday, January 11, 2010

NO! This does not make me a grandmother!

Many of you know that I used to be an elementary school teacher. For six years, I taught in the typical inner-city neighborhood in North Philadelphia at "Frederick Douglass Elementary School." That's where I met Cory.

Cory was a student in my third grade class and then I had him the following year in fourth grade when I "looped" and kept the same students. Cory was one of those kids with a big personality and lots of smarts. He wasn't always the best behaved student in my class but for sure, he wasn't the worst. He spoke up when he needed something, he stayed after school just because he wanted to and most importantly, over the summer, he looked up my phone number in the phone book and called me! I was shocked! In fifth grade, he moved on to another teacher but we've kept in touch ever since he was 8 years old and my third grade student.

Cory has had his fair share of troubles, his mother passed away quite a few years ago and he and his many brothers and sisters were basically left to take care of themselves and each other, in spite of all that, Cory graduated from high school, he even attended Millersville University for a few semesters until he had trouble paying his tuition. It's not the best situation that he had to leave the University but I feel confident that Cory will finish college some day, it's just going to take him a little longer than some.

Cory is 23 years old now and his girlfriend just had a baby! I am not thrilled that he isn't married, or that his girlfriend had a baby before he actually graduated from college BUT... I love him so what can I do but support them?

They came to visit us this weekend, the baby is also named Cory and Big Cory introduced me to little Cory as Grandmom! I put a stop to that right away! I am not ready to be called Grandmom and in all honesty, I want to save that title for when The Son has a wife who has babies. I told him I could be Aunt Kiki which is what my nieces call me. (I don't know why but I like it!) So, here's a few pictures of our weekend. It was lots of fun and I hope that we'll get to see lots more of this sweet little guy and his parents.


The Son loved the baby but still couldn't resist acting silly in a photo!

Here's a better one...


Check out this cute face! I love his big, dark, eyes! He's such a good baby, honestly, the whole time they were here, I barely heard this little guy cry. Cory Sr. says he pretty much only cries when he's hungry or doesn't want to be in his car seat, what a good little guy!

Daddy with his boy!
Mommy with her boy!

The happy family!


Hangin' out and lookin' cute!

Adorable, wouldn't you agree?

Today is the start of my training for the Broad Street Run, my blister is still bothering me but on today's agenda is running three miles at an 11:00 minute pace so that shouldn't be too difficult for me. This whole week's training plan only has me running 8 miles total which for me is nothing... any runners out there want to give me advice? Do I stick to exactly what the plan says or can I do an extra day or so to get in a few more miles, it's hard to do only 8! I could do the elliptical or AMT machine on the off days if that would be better but I'd much rather run. Please, let me know your thoughts.

Have a great day everyone! Enjoy your Monday!

5 comments:

Darlene said...

Awwwww Baby Cory is adorable!! It sounds like even though Big Cory has had some rough times he is still doing great. Hopefully, he WILL be able to continue college and get his education. I wish them well.♥

Nikki said...

OH MY GOSH...look how cute Little Cory is!!! Babies look good on you Caren ;)

I had to laugh my butt off at A as that is what Ethan does in every picture, even the background of pictures :-I

I would push through more miles but hey, I'm not a rule follower much ;)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that's Cory!!! I knew he was grown ... but, I was surprised when I saw his picture ..His baby is adorable and his girl looks nice ...I always liked Cory I am glad he is happy...Nannie

Chrissy Cuz said...

Oh how cute he is. :o)

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I love that Cory kept in touch with you! And I am proud of you for not spontaneously combusting when he introduced you as grandma. ;-)