Thursday, January 14, 2010

Recipe Resolution: Shrimp Fra Diavolo

It's my first recipe post of the new year! If you read my blog, you'll remember that I made a resolution to try two new recipes a month and to blog about them. I want to eventually post them on my "Healthy Living" blog but since I haven't been working on that one, I'll just post this here. I got the recipe from "Cooking Light" magazine, not only is it a healthy and yummy recipe, it's also a budget conscious recipe and says that each serving costs about $2.50.

I simply copied and pasted so that I didn't have to type the whole thing but the pictures are of my cooking and my final product.

******************************************

Shrimp Fra Diavolo

Be sure to use inexpensive medium-size shrimp in this garlicky, spicy classic.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup pasta and about 1 1/4 cups sauce)

Ingredients

  • 8 ounces uncooked linguine
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained

Preparation

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; keep warm.

2. While pasta cooks, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic and shrimp; sauté or 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove from pan; keep warm.

3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until softened.

Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon garlic, pepper, basil, and oregano; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Stir in tomato paste and lemon juice; cook 1 minute or until slightly darkened.

Stir in crushed tomatoes, salt, and diced tomatoes; cook 5 minutes or until thickened.

(Side note: I love this brand, they're really yummy tomatoes, in my market, they're in the organic section, I must also admit that I don't buy a lot of canned tomatoes so frankly, they may not be all that much better than any other canned tomatoes... anyway, they're good, especially the "fire roasted" crushed ones. )

Return shrimp to pan; cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve over pasta. You can click on the link to get all the nutritional information but the serving below is approximately 475 calories.

My review:

This recipe was very easy and quite tasty. It was also quite spicy. The Husband loved how spicy it was but for me it was a bit too much, I will make this again with half of the red pepper and then allow The Husband to add a little more of his own. We ate this for two days and for the second day, I added some plain tomatoes to the spicy sauce which helped cut the spice a great deal. I used pre-cooked frozen shrimp. It was BOGO a the grocery store a few weeks ago and it was actually quite yummy, I'm sure fresh shrimp would be equally as good if not better. I also cut out the two Tablespoons of oil which cuts 240 calories from the recipe, I used cooking spray instead, I don't notice a difference and it lightens each serving up by 60 calories. All in all, this was an easy, healthy recipe that I will definitely make again.

Give it a try and let me know what you think! Happy Thursday all! I get weighed today, we'll see if this recipe helped me lose any more. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

morewineplease said...

I have to send this to my cook aka Hubby!

Chrissy Cuz said...

That sounds awesome & my hubby will like that it is spicy. I will have to cut the spice also & let him add extra. Can't wait to try it. :o)