Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Super Science is Super Fun!

No time for a long post this morning since I should be getting ready for work as I type but I can't tear myself away from the computer... as usual!

I have 22 kids enrolled in my Science Camp this week, the past week's I've done, I had less than 10. 22 is a HUGE difference. I do have a helper and she seems to be doing OK although I didn't get the helper I really wanted (Hi Kristi!)

Yesterday, the kids created parachutes out of various supplies and launched eggs from the second floor track into the gym below. We had no breakages until I convinced the last kid that we should rig his so that it WOULD break. He wholeheartedly agreed and we had a little egg breaking fun. Cheers erupted as that poor little egg splattered all over the gym floor. It was more difficult to clean up than I thought it would be. Ha!

We also tested the old saying, "It's hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk." Apparently, 95 degrees in the Pennsylvania countryside is NOT hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk, even if it feels like it is. The eggs just sat there as we watched them cascade down the pavement. Kind of a bummer as we all thought it would cook at least a little. Oh well, no one ever said science would always work out the way you think (or want)

So, today we're working on building balloon rockets that have to shoot across the classroom on string and possibly starting some work with the five senses. Should be lots of fun.

I managed to get a quick 5K in on the treadmill yesterday evening after teaching swimming and I'll get my full work out in today. I'm really hoping for a loss of at least another pound this week but we'll see, I had a few splurges this weekend that I wouldn't normally have. Nothing terrible and I did work out a lot so we'll see if this old body cooperates!

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

3 comments:

Darlene said...

It sounds like a really FUN Science Camp! It sure would seem like 95 degrees would be hot enough to fry an egg!

Kristi said...

HIIIIIIII, Caren :o)

Nina said...

so how hot does it have to be to cook an egg? did you find that out? or what material could you use to gather enough heat, if you could, outside? a slate?