Monday, August 31, 2009

Today...

my baby goes to kindergarten. Yep. At noon today, I will be putting The Son on the bus and he will be taken to school. He told me last night that he was feeling a bit "apprehensive" about going. I reminded him that it would be a new experience for all the children and that seemed to make him feel a little better. He was telling his stuffed squirrel, Skuggs, about his teacher and when he spoke about her, he seemed excited. I know she's going to be a good teacher for him. I was very, very pleased with her when I met her.

My neighbor and friend, whose son is starting 1st grade tomorrow, told me that it was perfectly acceptable, AND normal to follow the school bus to school (on the first day) and watch him get off safely. She said, "there is nothing wrong with wanting to know what is happening to your five year old" and that it's a "difficult transition" for many moms. She made me feel a little better and I think I will be following the bus to school, just to make myself feel better. I won't be telling The Son that I'm doing it but I'll just let him know that I'm heading to the Y to work out while he's at school which will actually be what I will be doing after the brief visit to his school.

Speaking of the Y... today is the day that our Y reopens after being closed for a week. I'm so excited to see all the new cardio machines and anxious to get back into my routine. I've been working out at another local Y but it's just not the same as my "home away from home." I've been doing OK with my healthy eating but I do feel that after my vacation in Maine and the week away from "my" Y that I need to refocus and make sure that I am tracking all my food at least for the next couple weeks. I have definitely been a "tracker slacker" for the past month or so. It's time to recommit and get started with the next phase of my weight loss... bring it on!

I'll be taking lots of photos when The Son gets ready and leaves for school this afternoon and I'll post them as soon as possible. There will be no one here to take pictures of the tears streaming down my face as the bus drives away but I assure you, there will be tears, let's just hope they're only mine and not The Son's. Enjoy your Monday everyone... I'll try to enjoy my life changing day...

5 comments:

Chrissy Cuz said...

Today is the big day. He'll do great. He is very social and smart. I can't wait to hear how you both make out. :o)

Samantha said...

He'll be just fine. The bus doesn't run by our house so we have to take my son to school. The first day, I walk him in. After that, he gets out of the car at the front door. It's perfectly acceptable to follow the bus the first day. :)

Cathy said...

He (and you!) will do great!
Thinking of you!
I am going to give a call in about an hour!

Cathy said...

Oh, and following the bus thing....I agree - perfectly acceptable. I have heard a lot of Mommies doing that! I know I will be!

Darlene said...

I bet the Son is going to have a GREAT day. You will be fine too. Here are some big hugs from blogland.♥