Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Did I ever tell you?

Did I ever mention that our INDOOR pool at the YMCA closes during a thunder storm? Well, it does and this summer, we've been having a lot of thunderstorms on Wednesday nights. That means we don't see the students all that much per session since the sessions are only 5 and 4 weeks. Last week we never even started out in the water since it started to storm at 3:55 and classes start at 4:00. We were able to have class from 5:45 - 6:15 and we started the 6:15 class but at 6:40 or so it started again and we were done for the night.

Not that I'm complaining of course.

Yes, I like teaching swimming but I also like sitting on the mezzanine talking to my co-workers while getting paid for it too. Which would you prefer? Is it bad to hope for storms?

So, it's well over 90 degrees here today, hot and humid, and they're calling for "evening thunderstorms" again. The parents are credited for a class that's missed but they still get annoyed. I decided to look it up to see if it's REALLY necessary for us to get out of the pool and found a few different things. Most people say, "better safe than sorry" but the fact is that there has NEVER been a death reported from lightening striking an indoor pool.

I'll have to mention it at work to see if anyone else has heard anything different. Not that I'm going to try and change it, it's a national YMCA rule after all.

Here's a picture of the pool from last week when we got rained out. These were taken right before we went in for our 5:45 class, you can see the sun shining through the windows.



So, keep your fingers crossed for us tonight...

3 comments:

Always Smiling said...

The Y here closes its pool during storms also. Luckily the kids lessons were never affected. We only did Sat. July lessons, since we live 30 minutes away.

I'm with you though, I would prefer to talk and get paid then actually work. ;)

Shakirra said...

Well Caren, I don't think someone just pulled this policy out of their butt..somewhere at sometime someone has been struck by lightning in an indoor pool. At least that would make sense to me. A national ymca rule..

Anonymous said...

I like that pool! I like how there is a ramp going down to enter the pool.