Thursday, July 3, 2008

My mantle-summer edition

I decorated my mantle a couple weeks ago with shells and "seashore stuff" that I've been collecting with this idea in mind. I wanted something light and airy that could last all summer long. Eventually, I would like to do more than just one "summer display" perhaps something a little more patriotic until after The Fourth but right now, I don't want to spend any extra money and all my patriotic stuff is still in The City House. I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out. I have a few more beachy touches that I'd like to add to the family room but I haven't gotten around to doing them yet. 

The apothecary jars and the cloche are the best investments, I love thinking of things to put in there, it always turns out looking pretty. I'm still not sure about the watercolor painting that's hanging over the mantle, I love it but we have a very large mirror that we bought when we bought all our furniture and it still isn't hung all these months later. I keep thinking it should go over the mantle, any opinions on that one? We would still keep the watercolor in the room, just move it to another location. Also, I'd like to be able to take down what ever is hung over the mantle at holiday time so that I can hang a wreath and I don't know that the mirror is easily moveable once we get it up there. I've seen people hang a wreath right on the mirror but I am not usually a fan of that look and I don't think it would work with my mirror. Now, I know you're going to say I need to post a picture of the mirror so stay tuned for that one, I'll do it soon. 



The fan coral was found at the Pottery Barn Outlet. It's my favorite thing because I really like the height that it adds. I don't think The Husband really liked it that much when I bought it but I'm sure he'd readily admit that it looks good now. 

This little bowl is on the side table next to the mantle, I actually found it at the Grocery Store for $3.49 and I couldn't pass it up. I think It adds a nice little (inexpensive) touch. Most of the shells, and the rock with the fossil in it (The Son is convinced it's a dinosaur fossil) are all from the beaches of Amelia Island, FL. A nice way to remember our vacation from a couple months ago. I just love summer...don't you? 


1 comment: